This post contains affiliate links.
If you don’t already own a roaster oven, I’ll tell it to you straight: You’re missing out. Why? Because this appliance makes holiday cooking a breeze. It acts as a second oven that cooks meats and vegetables with ease. They’re great for the summertime too, when you don’t want to get your kitchen too hot from a conventional oven.
But if you’re on the hunt for the best roaster ovens, you’re posed with a challenge. There are so many appliances on the market. They all claim to be the best roaster ovens, but which ones truly take the cake?
We’re making your decision easier by showcasing 6 incredible roaster ovens that all come with their own advantages and disadvantages. We’re taking an in-depth view so you can make a purchase you’re confident with.
Carry on reading or jump straight to our number #1 pick here.
- What Should I Look For When Buying a Roaster Oven?
- Here’s How We’ve Determined the Best Roaster Oven
- #1: Oster Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid | 22 Qt (Best Value)
- #2: Hamilton Beach 28 lb 22-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid (Best Roaster Oven)
- #3: Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven (Best 18-Quart Roaster Oven)
- #4: NESCO MWR18-14 Roaster Oven (Best Low Cost)
- #5: Stamo Roaster Oven (Best 24-Quart Roaster Oven)
- #6: Nesco 4816-14 Porcelain Roaster Oven, 6-quart (Best 6-Quart Roaster Oven)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Verdict: Your Best Roaster Oven
What Should I Look For When Buying a Roaster Oven?
Don’t go into buying roaster ovens blindly. Here are a few important things to consider when finding the roaster oven that’s right for you.
Criteria #1: Does it have a self-basting lid?
Self-basting lids provide moisture for your meats, so it’s ideal to have one.
Criteria #2: Does it include a removable roasting rack or pan?
A removable roasting rack will make it easy to pull large items out of the roaster ovens, whether it’s non-stick or not. So, if you want to make your holiday roasting to be a cinch, find an oven that includes a removable roasting rack. A detachable pan is also recommended for easy cleanup.
Criteria #3: What is the temperature range?
Having a decent temperature range is important. With different temperatures, you can perform different types of cooking methods. For example, when using a low temperature, you can slow cook meats and side dishes. Using the highest setting, such as 450 degrees F., you can speed up the cooking time to get food on the buffet server quicker.
Criteria #4: How big is it?
When it comes to size, everyone will have different needs. Some may require an extra-large roaster to handle all the food needs of their family and extended family members on holiday. Others might have a smaller fam and don’t need a huge oven taking up their entire counter space. Pay attention to the size when finding a roaster oven.
Criteria #5: Is it dishwasher safe?
When it comes to cooking and cleaning, you want something easy to use in both categories. Well, roaster ovens are super simple to cook with but not all are very easy to clean. You want to find special features, such as removable pans, that can be cleaned with ease. Also, try to find a safe product for the dishwasher so you can set it and forget it.
Criteria #6: Are there any safety features?
When dealing with a roaster oven that can easily get up to 450 degrees, you need to concern yourself with safety. After all, touching an appliance that’s been heated to 450 degrees is going to leave you with burnt fingers. Look for safety features such as cool-touch handles or removable racks that can keep you safe while cooking and serving.
Here’s How We’ve Determined the Best Roaster Oven
When it came to choosing the best roaster ovens, we certainly didn’t do it blindly. We looked at the features of each product as well as the pros and cons. We also looked at customer reviews. After all, we wanted to hear from real users – not just the manufacturers wanting to make a buck.
#1: Oster Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid | 22 Qt (Best Value)
Replace Image below with Amazon SiteTools Image
When it comes to finding the biggest bang for your buck, it was an easy decision – the Oster Roaster Oven. Not only is Oster a name brand you can trust, but this appliance is something you can trust, too. The best part is, it’s not super expensive. In fact, it can fit into most budgets swimmingly. Let’s take a closer look at why this roaster oven might be the best choice for you and your needs.
- Easy to Use: Not everyone wants to bring new appliances into their kitchen. This means a new learning curve that could take who knows how long. But the Oster Roaster Oven is a cinch with “foolproof results”.
- Versatile. This roaster oven is versatile too. It can handle up to a 26-pound turkey, and you can simmer the dripping right inside of the roaster oven pan. By working as a versatile, two-in-one device, throwing together your holiday meal has never been easier.
- Self-Basting Lid. The self-basting feature ensures that you don’t have to worry about basting manually. This saves time and hassle, two essential things you need while cooking your holiday meals. The result is a succulent, moist turkey with little effort.
- Not too big or heavy. One issue a lot of roaster ovens have is that they are too large for most kitchens. Well, the Oster Roaster Oven is made to be a bit more compact. That means that smaller kitchens can indulge in this handy product, too. It measures 23.3 x 15.6 x 11.8 inches with a weight of 2.72 ounces. Not too shabby!
Final Thoughts: If you’re looking for a reliable roaster oven that will be able to roast, bake, and simmer, then you can find confidence in this roaster oven from Oster. It’s not overly large but can still handle a fairly large turkey with ease. Plus, it comes out moist every time. You will get the best value for your money with this roaster oven.
What Customers Had to Say: This roaster oven has an overwhelming amount of positive reviews. In fact, people were so pleased with their purchase, it was difficult to find any negative comments. With customers saying things like, “Performed above and beyond expectations!” you can feel confident in your purchase, too.
#2: Hamilton Beach 28 lb 22-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid (Best Roaster Oven)
When you think of a brand that you can trust in the kitchen, one brand likely pops into your mind – Hamilton Beach. Hamilton Beach started in April, 1910, and they continue to thrive in the industry, including providing this Hamilton Beach 28 lbs. 22-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid. Here’s why we ranked it as best roaster oven.
Fits Up To a 28-Pound Turkey
Big families can’t settle for less when it comes to holiday food. If you have a fairly large fam that comes over for the holidays, then you need a roaster oven that can handle the load. Well, the Hamilton Beach 28 lbs. 22-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid is designed to fit an incredible 28-pound turkey right inside. That’s enough to feed the whole family!
I know what you’re thinking. “Does this really matter?” The simple answer is yes, it’s going to come in handy like you wouldn’t believe. Turkeys (and other meats) get messy. They drip and leave behind all sorts of goodies that you don’t want to eat. Well, the removable pan makes cleanup a breeze. Not only that, but it’s crafted with enamel-coated steel, so everything wipes off with ease.
A removable rack with handles is another one of those benefits that are really going to help you during your holiday cooking excursions. Why? Because a removable rack with handles will allow you to pick up an extra-large turkey out of the roaster oven without burning your hands. So, you no longer have to worry about how you’re going to get the big bird out. Use it and serve!
Whether you’re putting today a holiday meal or want to slow cook some veggies for your summer afternoon, you want to have enough space. Well, this roaster oven from Hamilton Beach ensures you don’t have to settle for less. Being a 22-quart roaster oven, it’s a cinch to fit all of your faves right inside.
Adjustable Temperature Control from 150 to 450 Degrees
Temperature control is so important when it comes to a roaster oven, especially when it comes to having a wide range. That’s because you want options with your roaster oven. By allowing temperatures as low as 150 degrees F., you can use the roaster oven like a slow cooker or food warmer. On the other hand, with high temperatures up to 450 degrees F., you can cook things at a fast pace, too. Now that’s versatility for the cook!
Dome Lid Adds Height
Have you ever tried to use an appliance, only to find out that it wasn’t big enough and you couldn’t get the lid to shut all of the way? Well, I’ve been there. And it’s a pain. Good thing you don’t have to worry about it with the Hamilton Beach electric roaster. This electric roaster comes with a dome lid that adds a decent height, so even larger birds can fit snuggly inside.
Tiny but Mighty
Again, the issue of size comes into play when searching for a roaster oven. Well, you will be happy to know that our top pick is on the small side. It is only 17.50 x 10.50 x 24.00 inches with a weight of 2.72 ounces. Being as small as it is, it can fit into many kitchens without worry.
Last but not least, these roaster ovens are designed using stainless steel. Why is this beneficial? Because stainless steel ensures a reliable and durable product that can withstand just about anything. Plus, you won’t have to worry about struggling with rust or corrosion down the line. Did we mention stainless steel adds an instant snazziness to any countertop?
Final Thoughts: This steel roasting superstar has it all. From the gorgeous stainless steel outer shell to the spacious interior that can fit a 28-pound turkey with ease, you can’t go wrong with this Hamilton Beach roaster oven. It comes with a self-basting lid, a removable pan and rack, and a domed lid, all of which are designed to make your life easier.
What Customers Had to Say: There’s a reason why this roaster oven ranked as the best – people love it. There were an enormous amount of positive reviews on Amazon com, with people saying it was the best roaster oven they had ever used and that it had a huge interior.
#3: Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven (Best 18-Quart Roaster Oven)
Replace Image below with Amazon SiteTools Image
Not everyone needs a larger-than-life roaster oven. Some need to create more space in their kitchen or don’t need to cook an XXL turkey for the holidays. Sound like you? Then the Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven might be the best option for your needs. Here’s why.
- 18-quart capacity. First and foremost, this roaster oven is an 18-quart roaster oven. But don’t think that means you’re super limited. Although it is an 18-quart roaster oven instead of the 22-quart roaster ovens listed above, it can still handle a turkey up to 24 pounds. Pretty impressive!
- Removable rack and pan. We talked earlier about how great it is to have a removable enamel-coated pan. Well, the Proctor Silex 32191 Roaster Oven comes with a lift-out rack that makes removing large items a breeze. No longer do you have to worry about struggling with large meats!
- Removable pans. This top-notch turkey roaster might not have a super large capacity, but it does make sure that your cooking experience is a breeze. How? Well, aside from the lift-out rack, it comes with a removable pan, too. These pans are easy to clean and will change the way you do holiday cooking for good.
- Limited warranty. Who doesn’t like confidence when buying? This Proctor Silex 18-quart roaster oven comes with a 1-year warranty to give you confidence when you buy. If something goes wrong, speak with the manufacturers and see what they can do for you. Easy!
Final Thoughts: This is by far the best 18-quart roaster oven you can buy. It holds up to the competition with several top-notch features, such as a removable enamel-coated pan. Plus, you get to enjoy a 1-year warranty.
What Customers Had to Say: Customer reviews were very positive when it came to this 18-quart roaster oven. It’s great for cooking up a whole turkey, and it’s easy to clean. Customers claimed that it did not disappoint, and if there was an issue, the 1-year limited warranty was super useful.
#4: NESCO MWR18-14 Roaster Oven (Best Low Cost)
On a tight budget? Don’t want to spend too much on buying the best roaster ovens? We don’t blame you, but we have a solution you can feel comfortable with. Don’t think that you’re going to miss out on features when you buy the budget-friendly NESCO MWR18-14 Roaster Oven. Here’s why.
- 18-quart capacity. Although this is the cheaper model, it doesn’t mean that it’s too small to handle your turkey dinner. This budget-friendly option has an 18-quart capacity to ensure that your favorite meals and side dishes can still be cooked without having to spend an arm and a leg.
- Removable cook well. One major advantage of this budget-friendly roaster oven is that it comes with a removable cook well from the heating element. When you’re done cooking, take out the cook well away from the heating element and stick it onto your serving table. Leftovers? Place the cook well into the fridge to munch on leftovers later.
- Cool-touch handles. Burnt fingers can put a major damper on your holiday spirit. With this electric roaster oven, you don’t have to worry about burns. It comes designer with easy-to-use cool-touch handles to keep you safe and sound while you roast, bake, simmer, and more.
- Adjustable temperature control from 200 F. to 450 F. degrees. Having such a wide range of temperatures to choose from gives the cook plenty of versatility while cooking. If you’re trying to keep food warm, then use the lowest setting on the electric roaster. The low setting can also provide a circle of heat to slow cook your favorite ingredients. You can also use the highest setting (450 degrees F.) to create an immense circle of heat that speeds up the cooking time.
Final Thoughts: Just because you’re going cheap doesn’t mean you have to skip on a high-quality roaster oven. This roaster oven can do it all for less. It is effortless to use and can do it all, from keeping food warm to cooking high-quality meats and side dishes.
What Customers Had to Say: Reviewers loved this roaster oven and enjoyed all of its features. However, the biggest issue with this roaster oven is that it is pretty large. Some said it was too bulky and too heavy for their liking, but that did not affect the cooking.
#5: Stamo Roaster Oven (Best 24-Quart Roaster Oven)
Replace Image below with Amazon SiteTools Image
Sure, a 22-quart roaster oven is enough for some. But if you’re dealing with an extra-extra-large family, then a 22-quart roaster oven won’t do the trick. If you’re looking for a larger-than-life roaster oven to cook a whole turkey with ease, then consider the high-quality Stamo Roaster Oven. There’s so much to love about these roaster ovens, and they don’t disappoint. Let’s take a closer look.
- Removable steel roasting pan. One big benefit of this stainless steel roaster oven is that it comes with a removable steel rack. Why is this beneficial? Because a roasting rack can allow for different types of cooking methods. Bake and slow cook to your heart’s content and enjoy a wide range of versatility with the removable roasting pan.
- Cool-touch handles. Safety is key when it comes to this electric roaster oven. That’s why it comes with cool-touch handles.
- Removable insert pot. Not only does this roaster oven come with a removable rack and pan, but the entire insert pot can be removed from the heating elements. So, you can use it for cooking all of your favorites. Then, use the keep warm setting for your food. Lastly, you can store it in the fridge for leftovers. Easy!
- 24-quart with self-basting lid. Yes, this roaster oven is humungous. It can cook turkeys of all sizes, whether you’re opting for a smaller 22-pound turkey or a larger 28-pound turkey and more. Plus, this is a roaster oven with a self-basting lid. That’s important for ensuring a super moist slab of meat with minimal effort.
- Red indicator light. An indicator light is important for knowing when the heating elements are ready for action. By seeing the indicator light, you can know whether the appliance is on a keep warm setting, slow cooking setting, or working as a super-charged electric roaster oven to take on your big bird.
- Non-skid rubber feet. If you’re worried that your roaster ovens will go flying off the countertop at any moment, you won’t have a delightful cooking experience. This roaster oven with a removable steel rack ensures that it is never an issue with the inclusion of non-skid rubber feet to keep your appliance in place.
- Dishwasher safe. One of the biggest bonuses of these roaster ovens is that they are entirely dishwasher safe. That makes cleanup a breeze.
Final Thoughts: Is there anything that this large roaster oven can’t do? If you’re looking for a big roaster oven that can stand up to your conventional oven in terms of size and power, then this is it. It’s a cinch to use, and you will love all of the different features, from the large capacity to the removable racks and pans. Plus, there is a wide temperature range for ultimate versatility.
What Customers Had to Say: So many positive reviews. In fact, we couldn’t find anything negative to say about this handy, high-quality roaster oven.
#6: Nesco 4816-14 Porcelain Roaster Oven, 6-quart (Best 6-Quart Roaster Oven)
Size isn’t always important when it comes to roaster ovens. If you’re looking for something petite that fits a small kitchen and provides a meal for a smaller family of up to 6 people, then consider the Nesco 4816-14 Porcelain Roaster Oven, 6-quart. These lovely 6-quart roaster ovens get the job done without taking up a whole lot of space, and it can still take the place of your traditional oven when needed.
Aside from being small in stature, there are a few other benefits to enjoy with this Nesco appliance, including…
- Full temperature range control. Keep it at the lowest setting, 200 degrees F., to enjoy a slow cooker. Speed up the cooking time by opting for the highest setting, 450 degrees F.
- Porcelain enamel finish. Looking for durability? This slow cooker and roaster are incredibly durable and easy to clean, thanks to a porcelain enamel finish. It’s also beautiful on any countertop, too.
- Cool handles. Don’t worry about safety when you cook. With stay-cool handles, you’ll never end up with nasty burns on your fingertips.
- Removable cooking rack. A removable cooking rack ensures that this product is easy to use, whether you’re using it as a roasting pan or a slow cooker.
Final Thoughts: If you want small roaster ovens, look no further than this product. It comes with a range of features that you will enjoy in the kitchen, but it’s small enough to ensure that it doesn’t take up too much space.
What Customers Had to Say: This is a wonderful roaster oven with great reviews. However, not everyone loved the design of the lid on this appliance. Other than that, most customers were thrilled with their buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a Roaster Cook Faster Than an Oven?
Thanks to a roaster ovens’ compact design, it is said that roaster ovens cook much faster than traditional ovens. So, when using roaster ovens, it’s suggested to shorten the cooking time. You should also keep an eye out for the temperature range. Using too high of a setting can be detrimental to your food.
Is It Better to Cook a Turkey in the Oven or a Roaster?
If you’re looking for the best place to cook a turkey, roaster ovens might be the best choice. That’s especially true if you’re using roaster ovens with a domed lid with self-basting properties. That’s because the self-basting will ensure your meat stays moist no matter what. The domed lid also provides extra room that a conventional oven might not have. Plus, roaster ovens are typically much easier to use than a conventional oven, making roaster ovens the better choice for cooking a turkey.
Verdict: Your Best Roaster Oven
If you want the best value for money, pick the Oster Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid 22 Qt.
If you need an 18-quart roaster oven, pick the Proctor Silex Roaster Oven.
If you want to keep the spending low, pick the NESCO MWR18-14 Roaster Oven.
Finding the best roaster oven for your needs doesn’t have to be a challenge. You truly can’t go wrong with any of the oven roasters on this list, and you’ll be glad to have them as a backup or second cooking space conjointly with your traditional oven. However, pay attention to the features of all of the ovens. You might find that you need or prefer some features over others.